Aerospace & Defense products are extremely complex: in the same project several different engineering domain must coexist and interact flawlessly. Components and sub-systems must be compliant with rigid regulations (e.g. DO178-C) for assuring robustness and reliability. This is why virtual development, coupled with automated validation and verification, are unavoidable tools for product design. Thanks to its Model-Based Design expertise and tools, DOFWARE supports Customers for defining design toolchain and for physical modelling. Furthermore DOFWARE is able to integrate in the development process innovative solutions for automated tests and automated report editing, according to reference regulations.
Physical modelling consists in creating mathematical models able to simulate system behavior in time. DOFWARE uses Modelica / Dymola tool in order to obtain efficient and high quality results. Some domains which this approach can be applied to:
- Thermal: inside vehicle (both terrestrial and aerial) comfort analysis, energy efficiency analysis of entire systems, CFD analysis preparatory to calibration and validation of models developed in Modelica;
- Terrestrial vehicle dynamics / flight dynamics: by means of Modelica / Dymola and specialized libraries therein, behavior of several different vehicle typologies can be reproduced in response to external conditions specified by the user. Whene there is the need of integrating mathematical models inside drive/flight simulators, FMI interface developed by DOFWARE enables to export models to 3D real-time engines;
- Electromechanics: system analysis for improving final result quality and stability by reducing consumptions and bugs. The coupling between Modelica and its vertical libraries with third-party software enables to perform complex studies otherwise unfeasible;
- Multibody: time-domain mechanical analysis are performed by coupling Modelica with the most common FEM and CFD software. A standard example is the coupling between pneumatic/hydraulic and electric/electronic domains.
Embedded Control Development
Control algorithm implementation requires accurate physical models, tools able to support integrated development and an automated framework assuring traceability of entire design process. For “Functional Safety” control algorithms such as those of Aerospace&Defense field, regulations are extremely strict and require that the development process is traceable, verifiable and well documented. DOFWARE provides efficient and innovative solutions for designers thanks to its tools and expertise, such as:
- Modelica / Dymola: multiphysical plant model implementation;
- Matlab®/Simulink®: embedded control development;
- FMI: information transfer handling and process automation;
- FMI Add On for NI VeriStand® and LabVIEW®: HiL test bench development for control algorithm validation;
- Reqtify: design requirements traceability and automated documentation editing;
- Silver: SiL- and HiL-based test virtualization;
- TestWeaver: test automation based on artificial intelligence engines;
- CTC++: code/firmware coverage analysis.
Among the main services provided by DOFWARE we cite:
- software/hardware design process assessment and compliance to the area standards such as RTCA/DO-178B (on-board software), RTCA/DO-278 (ground software) and RTCA/DO-254 (on-board hardware);
- software/hardware development support according to RTCA standards;
- avionic and armament component RAMS analysis.